Beware of Internet Entrepreneur Home Business Opportunities!

You have no doubt seen the ads on the Internet and heard the pitches: “Make money while you sleep!” “Complete Business System in a Box!” “No Investment, No Risk, Make $50,000 a Month in Your Spare Time!” Are you kidding me? Show me a complete business in a box that requires no investment, no risk, makes me $50k a month while I sleep, and I will immediately quit coaching, quit investing, quit speaking, quit consulting, quit lawyering, and quit brokering TODAY -- I’d be an idiot not to! Truth is, no such business exists, so don’t get suckered!

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of personal development and self training and education programs. I personally spend thousands of dollars a year on books, CD’s, seminars and the like – if you are serious about getting ahead you have to commit to investing in yourself first. But while there are legitimate business training courses, books, seminars, and coaching programs out there, you have to do your homework and make sure that you get what you pay for. Yes, you can become financially free, but such a path takes systematic work, commitment, and often a minimum of a year to eighteen months before you begin to see major results.

Many people are looking for an easy road to wealth and many unscrupulous marketers purposely design their pitches to take advantage of this weakness in people. Now let’s be clear, there is a big difference between using colorful and emotional language to entice someone to buy a twenty dollar book and using false and misleading statements and testimonials to fleece people out of five-thousand dollars for a training program that turns out to be little more than a hyped-up rehashing of the same old stuff you could have learned about for free in the library -- the first is called salesmanship and the second is called fraud. Before you put your money down be sure to put your common sense into play.

So, here are some suggestions for what to look for before investing in an internet entrepreneur home business opportunity, or training program:

  • Reputation of the Author/Speaker -- Who is the person promoting the product, or program you are considering? Do they have the qualifications and personal experience to teach others? Have they actually made money using the procedures they are pitching? Try “googleing” their name to see what you come up with.
  • Price vs. Value -- I’m sorry, but I do not see why a 152 page e-book should cost $500 dollars. Listen, I have spent several thousand dollars for a three day seminar that left me feeling that I would have gladly paid double had they asked for it, and I have paid fifteen dollars for an e-book that left me feeling like I was totally ripped off. Unfortunately, it’s hard to tell whether a price is too high before you spend your money, which is why you should be extra cautious before putting down a big chunk of change. I’m pretty loose with my money up to about $100, but after that I tend to start asking a lot more questions before opening my wallet.
  • Money Back Guarantee -- The most reputable programs and seminars offer some type of guarantee. Make sure you ask about it before paying big money for a program.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of good products and programs out there as well as a lot of shysters. Use your common sense before spending your money based on nothing more than hype. That said, don’t give up, and continue to invest in yourself. Your opportunity awaits you!

By John Michailidis

John A. Michailidis, Esq. is an attorney, broker, investor, small business consultant, and author of the WealthLoop Series book, "Beginner's Guide to Building Wealth Buying Houses." Learn more about entrepreneurship, personal development, and small business success at http://www.WealthLoop.com

.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Article makes some good points -- a lot of scams out there, so it pays to do your research.